Monday, June 29, 2009

Home Sweet Stati Uniti!

Monday morning, bright and early, we headed to the airport. Maggie was headed back to Germany for 2 more months and for me, it was time to go back to the United States. As surreal as it seemed, my European adventure had come to a close. Petra’s dad dropped us off and it was a tearful goodbye as Maggie and I knew we would not see Petra again until school starts back up at the end of August. Of course it was another tearful goodbye as Maggie and I parted ways and our crazy European adventure was over. As we like to say, “its probably the greatest thing we’ve ever done!” I was so glad I had her for all of our mishaps traveling from country to country but of course we had many, many laughs and great memories and stories we’ll never forget!

As for me, my flights were fine. I have to admit I had to fight back tears on the plane. I couldn’t help but think that my amazing adventure that I had looked forward to for so long was really over. I truly had the time of my life and I guess I just did not know what to expect when returning home.

When I finally landed on US soil, as I walked off my plane, the German flight attended said, “Welcome Home” to me and I lost it! I started crying and I realized how happy I was to be home. I was a happy that I didn’t think would come once leaving Florence. I cried when I saw the sign “Welcome to the United States of America” and I cried when the man at customs said, “How long have you been gone?” and I replied “4 months!” I was truly happy to be back in the U.S. a place I now have the up most appreciation for. Of course I cried when I saw my mom and dad standing at the arrivals gate and then when Rudy was waiting for me in the car! When I got home there was a great “Welcome Home” sign on my door and a cake. And later in the week I got to see my grandma and my wonderful friends threw me a surprise party which I did not expect! All of this was just so great and unexpected and overwhelming!

I have to say that now I am home, Florence seems like dream, a distant memory of the most amazing four months of life. Me and the friends that I have made will always have a special bond because we share the same feelings about a place that is so special and important to our lives. I traveled the world, and lived in a non-English speaking country for four months. I lived in a place where I knew nothing and came to know everything. I like to think…If I can do that…I can do anything.

It was definitely strange for me returning home though. As weird as it sounds, I felt it was hard to function in society. Walking by and knowing exactly what people were saying in their conversations was weird for me. Ordering ice cream seemed like a difficult task. Little things that I wouldn’t have thought just seemed so strange but nothing that I won’t get used to in time.

Now that I’ve been home three weeks now I think I have adjusted well, in fact, better than I had originally anticipated. I really love seeing all of my friends and family and I think that really helps. Although, sometimes I think I’m going back and than I sadness comes over me when I realize…I’m not. But I have my painting of the duomo, and my great leather purse, and my million pictures and my all of my stories and this blog to remind me of my amazing experiences and memories.
So, as my last blog entry, I just want to THANK YOU ALL for following me on my journey. Your love and support means more than you will ever know!

Homecoming June 1, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment