Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Rain Rain Go Away

So classes started and its been non stop raining. According to the weather...we're not supposed to see sun until Monday :( Classes are really good. They are definitely keeping us all very busy. We start at 9 am with an intensive Italian Language. The first day was very overwhelming. I had one of those "why am I here moments" when my teacher told us that she would stop speaking English next week so we better learn quick! Shes actually a really great teacher though. About 5 foot at most and a little ball of fire which makes the class very entertaining and the 3 hours go by quickly. After that I have to walk across town and the Arno River to the other school where we have our Italian Culture class which is pretty awesome. Again, its taught by an older Italian lady named Francesca. She has ridiculously curly hair and crazy glasses and shes a riot. On Monday we took a tour of the library that we will have access too. Its feet from the Duomo with and awesome view. Today we visited Dante's house (one of Italy most famous poets). It was really interesting. Then we went on a walk through the city. Unfortunatly it was raining so we were all soggy by the time it was over but it was still cool. Our teacher knows everything about Florence so she informs us of these neat little facts. Most of the time we do things outside the class room so we can get a real feel for the city which I think is awesome. Tomorrow is our first day without our program director slash best person to know in Florence, Nick. He has been with us everyday taking to class and helping all of us out. Tomorrow he's setting us free to find our own way to school (everyone is spread out in different apartments throughout the city). He says the best way to learn...and I agree but its still a little confusing. Although its a small city its not a grid which makes it difficult to learn. All in all, things are going really well. I've had a moments but like my mommy said "they'll be good days and bad ones." And although it seems like I've been here forever its only been 5 days and I still have a lot to learn.
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. well well well, rain, eh? welcome to my world! haha no but it will get sunny soon! my roomie caroline studied in rome last semester and she said the weather was great. so im sure that by march, you'll be wearing short sleeves! just remember that the italian classes, the "nick leaving" incident and all- they are all part of the learning experience! :-) i love you!!

    ReplyDelete