Wednesday, March 25, 2009

2 months already?!

I've almost been here 2 months already! Its so hard to comprehend! On one hand I feel like I've just arrived and every day flies by, but on the other hand I feel like I've been here for awhile now in the sense that I've learned SO much in such a short time and I know the city so well.

On Tuesday before class, Morgan and I decided to put our museum cards to good use and go to the Medici Chapel before class. This is a building that I pass every day on the way to school but never thought to stop. The Medici Chapel is a building that has many relics and tombs of members of the Medici Family along with several works by Michelangelo. The Medici Family were very important bankers (even bankers to the Pope) in the Medieval and Renaissance times and they funded a lot of the beautiful things that exist in Florence today. They lived in Pitti Palace with in across the Arno and you can tour today. Being in Renaissance Art History and History I am learning so many interesting facts about things that I pass every single day but know little to nothing about. For example, one of the Medici sons, Lorenzo the Magnificent, adopted Michelangelo. Michelangelo was not very loyal to the Medici Family and would commission works for other higher paying customers which was really looked down upon since the Medici's gave so much to him. Another interesting thing I learned today was that due to the size of Florence's Cathedral (more commonly known as the Duomo) designed by Filippo Brunelleschi, the climate on either side of the building is completely different. There is a temperature difference and along with the wind speed. I pass the Duomo at least twice a day and never knew of this. Its things like this that I love learning about it! And I have to say that I am really enjoying my classes!

Last night, the whole group threw a surprise birthday party for Nick! Maria tipped us off that it was his birthday so we all went over to the boys apartment and pretended that a pipe broke so he would rush over. Unfortunately, he sent Maria first (seeing as housing is her main responsibility) so she had to call and tell him that he needed to come ASAP because it was really bad. So needless to say...he was really surprised! We all threw confetti on him as he walked in! He was definitely pleased with the party and we all had a great time!

Plans for the weekend are still up in the air. We are holding out to see what the weather decides to do. As of right now it is supposed to rain :( but hopefully not and we can make it to the cute little town of Lucca!

No comments:

Post a Comment