Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Free Chocolate...I'm so there!

So yesterday I had heard about this chocolate tasting event that was sponsored by a local group that does all kinds of activities for students studying in Florence. A few of us were thinking about going but after class everyone didn't seem that into it. I didn't have too much homework so I still really wanted to go. Allison, another girl in the program was just like...we should go and check it out. So we walk across to town to find out where it is and it turns out that its a this delicious gelatorera called Vestri's right around the corner from my apartment. Francesca had actually taken us there a few weeks ago and said that its her favorite gelato place in all of Florence so we knew it was going to be good! There were only about 5 students total, Allison and I being the only ones that spoke any English. This gelato place is a tiny little shop so we cram inside with our book bags and all. The owner of the shop asks if everyone understands Italian and before I could say "eh..not too much" he starts off his speech explaining about how he makes the chocolate and how he started the business. He said something about Hershey's (ERSHEY'S as he pronounced it since they don't pronounce H's in Italian) and Stati Uniti and then had a bad look on his face so I'm guessing he's not a fan of Hershey's! I was just standing there smiling and looking happy as I was not really comprehending anything he was saying until he started cutting up pieces of chocolate to give to everyone! And they just kept on coming! I tried everything from chili chocolate, truffles, hazelnut chocolate, some kind of minty vanilla kind and even a coco bean which was very bitter. Just when I thought it was over...he asks...do you want gelato?! Of course we want gelato! So we all got to get two different kinds of gelato. I picked vanilla cinnamon and chocolate chili. So good! And then....he all gave us mugs of hot chocolate! I thought I had died and gone to heaven! And I didn't even go into a chocolate coma! I can't believe we didn't eat this man out of chocolate..it was all so good and all for free! It was a really fun time and I'm so glad I went!

Today was the first time I had my history class because it was canceled on Monday. Well...Nick came in to class today and introduced our Professor Fabrizio Ricciardelli and explained that the reason he had to cancel our class on Monday was because National Geographic is filming a show called "Secret Florence" and they asked him to be the commentating historian for the special! And he is also a published author. How cool! So look out for Fabrizio on National Geographic! I really liked the class...he was really enthusiastic and I think I am going to learn a lot from him.

On Friday we are going on our second Excursion with Rutgers to Siena and San Gimignano. I've heard good things about both places so I'm really excited! And Nick is taking out to lunch this time. I just hope the weather holds up! Its supposed to rain just like its been raining all week so I have my fingers crossed for better weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment