So I was sitting in Cinema class on Thursday afternoon watching "Divorce Italian Style" when out of the blue, we hear this loud crack of thunder and then bright lightening! The whole class jumps and then we hear this pounding rain on the windows. Francesca (you all remember her, my feisty Culture teacher who is also my Cinema teacher) immediately stops the movie and runs to the window. Sure enough large chunks of ice are pelting the windows! Francesca says, in her fantastic Florentine accent, "Guys, it never hails in Florence! Take pictures!!" and more than half the class runs to the window to capture what looked like the opening scene in The Day After Tomorrow! Of course, the only day I didn't bring me camera! Unfortunately, I can say that I'm used to the rain in Florence by now but this was something different! The sky was an amazing purple-pink color as the hail came down. Of course Francesca had now lost the class as we were all staring out the window. Class was over! And lucky the hail stopped quickly so I didn't have to walk home in it. Needless to say, its been a crappy weather weekend here in Firenze. Plans to go to Lucca were rained out so instead we did some shopping, some homework and some trip planning.
Yesterday, after 2 months I finally made it to the UffiziMuseum. The Uffizi used to the Medici's offices but now houses the world's best Renaissance art collection. The Uffizi is a massive museum home to world famous works of art like Botticelli's Primavera and The Birth of Venus, Leonardo da Vinci's The Annunciation and The Adoratio of the Magi, along with Michelangelo's only painting that remains in Florence, the Doni Tondo. (This painting shows how Michelangelo was really more of a sculpturer than a painter because the characters of this painting are very muscular and masculine looking.) The museum is huge and has over 44 rooms to explore! Since I haven't learned about everything that in the museum we decided to take a shortened tour with my handy dandy guide book of Florence (thanks parents!) so we just saw the highlighted aspects. And I can always go back because I have the museum card that gets me in free! It was definitely fun to finally see this famous museum and a great way to spend a rainy afternoon in Florence.
Going to have a busy week coming up. Midterms are next week already and I'll be spending the weekend in Capri and Sorrento! What a life...I know! haha!
Jillian! your description of the hail storm happened here in philly on sunday evening, too!! i was in a parking garage and just about to get out of the car when this massive hail storm hit, lasted for about 5 minutes and then turned into a ridiculous rain storm, and has been crappy weather here ever since!! the sky was this eerie orange color. there was a tornado in lancaster i think right around then, so that may have been the result. lol miss you!
Jillian! your description of the hail storm happened here in philly on sunday evening, too!! i was in a parking garage and just about to get out of the car when this massive hail storm hit, lasted for about 5 minutes and then turned into a ridiculous rain storm, and has been crappy weather here ever since!! the sky was this eerie orange color. there was a tornado in lancaster i think right around then, so that may have been the result. lol miss you!
ReplyDelete