Part 2:
So after our exhausting trip over the weekend and all the traveling so Aunt Debbie decided to relax on Monday while I was at school. When I returned home from a full day on school she shows me her foot (the one slightly twisted on Friday) and it is completely black and blue up her ankle and totally swollen! So I call knower of all things, Nick, to see what to do. He makes an appointment for the next morning at the Doctors. After seeing the doctor he says she needs an xray. I have to run to class so Aunt Deb takes and taxi to the xray place. Next thing I know I'm in class and I get a text message saying that she's in the emergency room! Right after class I ask my teacher, Elizabetta, how to get to the C.T.O Hospital. Well...I have to take a bus she tells me. Ok...I can take a bus...nbd (no big deal). So I'm searching for hospital as the bus is taking me further and further out of Florence. I ask a few people and no one seems to know what I'm talking about. I get off at the last stop as Elizabetta had advised and ask a few more people. Still nothing so I'm walking and walking and happen upon what looks to be a hospital! So I walk in and I'm searching around and I notice all these little kids and then I finally see a sign saying that its a pediatric hospital. Nope..Aunt Debbie's not here! So I hop back on the bus heading towards Florence figuring I'd see it at some point. In the mean time I get a call from Aunt Deb saying that I have to meet her at the hospital! So I jump off the bus and just start walking, first looking for a taxi (but of course the one time I'm looking for one there's none to be found) so then I just start walking to what looks like a hospital. Then finally I see a sign that says C.T.O. (the last letter standing for Orthopedic) so now its all making sense as to why she is in the crazy hospital in the middle of now where! I'm not even sure it was still in Florence. So after this crazy trek and I finally make to the hospital where I find Aunt Debbie on a stretcher in the middle of a hallway with a full leg cast on up to her knee!! She sure enough broke her foot! I just couldn't help but laugh (well it was a nervous laugh) when I saw her sitting this with this huge cast on her leg! She's been in Italy for like 2 days and now shes in the hospital! And it gets better...so...she can't put any weight at all on her foot so she needs crutches...remember we are in the orthopedic hospital...they are fresh out of crutches!! OH ITALY!! So after wheeling her to a taxi which has to take us to a special crutches store where we had to buy crutches and then wait in the rain for another taxi to take us back into the center of Florence!
Boy...it was exhausting and I wasn't the one walking on crutches! She has to keep the cast on for at least 20 days and have it reevaluated next week when she gets back to the states. And Florence isn't a very handicap friendly city! Poor Aunt Deb! I feel so bad! She comes to Italy and breaks her foot in France! We are just going to take it day by day and see how she feels and try and do and see as much as her ginormous cast will allow!
omg jill thats crazy!!! tell aunt deb i say feel better!
ReplyDeletethanks lis!
ReplyDelete