Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cinque Terre

On Friday Nick took a whole group of us to Cinque Terre. We left early since its about 3 hours away, by train, from Florence. Cinque Terre meaning "The Five Lands" is 5 small towns on the coast of the Italian Riviera. They are all so beautiful and unique with gorgeous cliffs and beaches. The five towns are Monterosso al Mare, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore.

We started in Riomaggiore and hung out in that town for a little bit. Very cute and different from the other towns I've visited on the trip. We had some breakfast and took some pictures. Then we walked on the Via Del'Amore which is the "Street of Love." Via del'Amore connects Riomaggiore and the next town Manarola. Its a beautiful path laid out right on the edge of the coast with beautiful views. It was originally built years ago when there were rules that you could only date people from your town so people would take the path to the other towns to see their lovers. It was a beautiful walk and fun to see all of the writings on the wall with people professing their love for each other.

Once we got into the second town, Manarola, it started raining so we decided to take the train to the fourth town, Vernazza, (skipping the 3rd town Cornigilia). Vernazza was a cute little shore town with old boats everywhere. It was still raining when we got there so Nick found us a place to eat right on the shore. I have a very delicious trenette pasta with pesto and white wine, all local specialties! After lunch it stopped raining so the group split up. Nick took whoever wanted to go to the next town by train and Maria took everyone else on a hike. Originally I was thinking against the hike but then decided it could be fun and I would get to see so much more...so we went with Maria on the hike which is about an hour and a half up and down the mountains total of about 2 miles. It was really tough at first but in the end so worth it!! The sights were beautiful! There was a little old Italian man on the path who sold homemade lemonade so we stopped and got some from him. He was so cute and the lemonade was so refreshing...it never tasted so good!! At the end of the hike it was so rewarding and here comes the best part...when we arrived in the last town, Monterosso, we saw the beautiful beach and the sun was just coming out (since it had been pretty overcast the whole day) so we all jumped into the Mediterranean and swam out to the rocks! The water was so refreshing! Of course it was chilly at first but once I started swimming around it felt great! And it was so salty! Once we swam out to the rocks we hung out there for awhile. It was seriously la dolce vita!! I wish we could have stayed there the whole day!

This was one of my more favorite trips since it was so relaxing! We got to see Cinque Terre but we didn't cram everything in. It was a great way to see the towns and enjoy the day. After the long train ride home we came back and crashed into our beds.

Today I got up and hit San Lorenzo Market trying to get last minute shopping done. I still can't decide on a purse! and I'm running out of time. I actually think I'm in denial now about leaving this place I've called my home in 6 days! ahh I can't even talk about it!!

Tonight, all of Team Rutgers is getting together at this lounge in town for a last get together. It should be a good time!

Cinque Terre pictures!

Cinque Terre: May 15, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment